William Don Calbreath

1921 - 1980

     William Don Calbreath was born December 1921 in Nezperce, Lewis County, Idaho. He was the youngest child of A. C. Calbreath of Idaho and F. Jane Campbell of Utah.

     Don spent the summer of 1938 at the Civilian Conservation Corps camp at Chatoolet, Idaho. He graduated from Nezperce High School in May 1939.

     In February 1942, he enlisted into the Army at San Francisco. He attended Basic Training at Camp Walters, Texas, and emerged a BAR gunner. He then joined the 82nd Airborne and received training at Fort Benning, Georgia.

     A member of Company A, 505th Parachute Infantry, 82nd Airborne Division, he saw action during World War II in North Africa, Sicily, Italy in 1943. He was wounded for the first time in Sicily, when a piece of shrapnel caught him in the mouth.

     In 1944 Don participated in the D-Day invasion of Normandy, and combat action in The Netherlands (Holland), where he was wounded a second time. The 82nd Airborne participated in the Battle of the Bulge. Don was wounded the third time when a bullet pierced the radio he was carrying on his back.

     During World War II, Don was awarded the Oakleaf Cluster, Purple Heart, and Good Conduct Medal. His Bronze Stars were for service in the Campaign Rhineland, Campaign Ardennes, and Campaign Central Europe. PFC Calbreath received an Honorable Discharge in September 1945.

     Don married Betty G Hollyer Robertson on June 7, 1946, in Berkeley, California. In September 1946, he reenlisted at San Francisco into the 82nd Airborne Division with the rank of PFC. He rejoined the 505th Parachute Infantry at Fort Bragg. In 1948, Sergeant Calbreath reenlisted for three years of Military Service.

     In July 1949, Don was transferred to Birmingham, Alabama, where he was stationed with the 3202nd ASU ROTC Instructors. He taught ROTC at Ramsey High School.

     June of 1952 found Don enroute to FECOM to serve in the Korean Operation. From August 1952 to March 1953 he was stationed with Company C, 9th Infantry Regiment. In March 1953, he was transferred to Company L, 34th Infantry Regiment. He served with the 24th Infantry Divion in Japan after eight months of Korean duty and served with the Second Infantry Division in Korea.

     Returning from Korea in October 1954, Master Sergeant Calbreath was assigned to Headquarters Company, 1st Batallian, 30th Infantry Regiment, Fort Lewis, Washington. He then served at Headquarters Co 1st Batallian, 38th. There he reenlisted for six more years of active duty. In March 1955, he participated in “Operation Surfboard”, a joint Army-Navy maneuver held off the coast of California.

     In June 1955, Don and his family flew from New York to Frankfurt, Germany. There he was assigned to B Company, 8th Infantry Regiment, at Butzbach, Germany. In May 1956, he was transferred to Company C, 82nd Recon Batallian, at Mainz. July 1957, he transferred to 1st Recon Squadron, 15th Cavalry at Mainz.

     In December 1957, Don and his family departed from Bremenhaven, Germany, and arrived in New York for New Years 1958, on way to Fort Hood, Texas. He was assigned to C Troop, 1st Recon Squadron, 15th Cavalry, Second Armored Division at Fort Hood. In September 1958, he was transferred to Headquarters Company, Second Armored Division at Fort Hood.

     In August 1959, Don earned the Advanced Rifle Marksmanship Instructor Certification at Camp Perry, Ohio. From January to February 1960, Don was enrolled in Springfield, Massachusetts. He returned to Fort Hood qualified as a Light Weapons Infantryman.

     Don became a Life Member of the National Rifle Association in March 1960. That year he certified in Small Arms Repair, and 45 Pistol Qualification. In August 1960, he earned the Special Rifle Marksmanship Instructor Certification at Camp Perry.

     Master Sergeant Calbreath reenlisted at Fort Hood for 3 additional years of military service. In March 1961, the National Rifle Association certified Don as a Rifle Marksmanship Instructor. In 1961, he was transferred to Headquarters Company, 1st ARB, 51st Infantry, Second Armored Division at Ft Hood. In December 1961, he qualified as Rifle M-1 Expert. In October 1962, he was assigned as Chief Rifle Instructor and qualified for the Advanced Marksmanship Unit at Ft Hood.

     January 1963, Don was transferred to Vietnam. Master Sergeant Calbreath arrived in Saigon in February 1963, serving with USA Elm MAAG. He reenlisted at Saigon for 3 additional years of military service. He transferred out of Vietnam in February 1964.

     March 1964, Don transferred to Company B, 1st Battallion, 3rd Bde, Fort Ord, California. In June 1964, he earned the Rifle M-14 Qualification. July 1964, he was assigned to Headquarters, 3rd Bde, Fort Ord. March 1965, Don transferred to Company B, 1st Battalion, 3rd Bde, Fort Ord.

     Master Sergeant E7 William Don Calbreath retired from the U.S. Army on June 1, 1965.

     William Don Calbreath died May 31, 1980, in Las Vegas, Nevada. He is buried in Memory Gardens.



Click To Open Full Size Picture

If you have any information that was not included here, please send to:
webmaster@calbreath.com, subject: William Don Calbreath
Return To Home
Help research being done for this site by sending donations to webmaster@driden.com through PayPal

This site © Driden Enterprises, Barry Calbreath Owner